Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Come Run With Me

Well, it's official. I am going to be doing another 5k run in May!  My sister has asked me and several of her friends to participate in the Mother's Day Run and I jumped at the chance. I am so proud of my sister for setting a goal for herself and I can't wait to do this with her! Anybody else want to join us? It is going to be May 9 and the cost is $25.00 if you register before April 15. Let me know if you are interested!

Now I just have to get myself back to running and work on beating my time from last time!

My brother in law, CJ, arrives today to begin working on the basement. We have not seen him in over 2 years, so it should be interesting to have him around this week. We are excited to get a lot done in the house....so he should stay pretty busy.

I found a new devotional site online last week and have been enjoying their daily devotions.  I thought I would share with you the one from today...because it just hit home for me.

Today's Truth - Mary Southerland


John 13:34 "Love one another as I have loved you."

Friend To Friend

Everywhere I go, I seem to be surrounded by red hearts, roses, pink ceramic dishes, boxes of chocolate and brightly decorated cards that sing mushy love songs and even let you record your very own words and thoughts of affection. February is the month of love but if we are honest, some people are harder to love than others. I call those people "sandpaper people" because they can be irritating, abrasive and tend to rub me the wrong way.

I can also be a sandpaper person. We all can. Our only hope is God's love at work in and through us. God calls us to love the unlovable and to reach out to those people we would rather avoid. God calls us to love each other just like He has loved us. In fact, God uses those difficult people to refine us and make us more like Him.

In the late 1800's, a group of women enrolled in a Bible study came across Malachi 3:3, "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver." Since no one understood the verse, they commissioned one of their members to explore the process of refining silver and report back to them at their next study. The woman called a silversmith, making an appointment to watch him work and ask a few questions.

On the appointed day, she saw him hold a piece of silver over the fire, letting it heat up. He explained that in refining silver, a silversmith needed to hold the silver in the middle of the fire where the flames were hottest, so that all impurities would burn away. The woman thought about God holding us in such a hot spot; then she thought again about the verse, that he sits as a refiner and purifier of silver. She asked the silversmith if it was true that he had to sit in front of the fire the whole time the silver was being refined. The man answered that he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but had to keep his eyes on the silver the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left even a moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed. The woman was silent for a moment. Then she asked, "How do you know when the silver is fully refined?" He smiled. "Oh, that's easy. The refining process is complete when I see my image in it."

Difficult relationships can sometimes make us feel like we are being dangled over a fire of unreasonable expectations, can't they? It seems easier to simply give up and walk away from all of the emotional stress of trying to make the relationship work. When we make the choice to love a sandpaper person, we are inviting God to work in us and through us to bring about change - to create His image in us so we can then see His image in others. Difficult relationships and combative interactions do not hold up well in an atmosphere of love, because it is through love that stubborn wills are compelled to yield. Under the influence of God's love in our lives, winning no longer seems important to us, as we recognize the value and worth of a soul.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments: